Ngati Hei’s rich larder

About 4 o’clock on the afternoon of November 4 1769, Cook brought the Endeavour closer into Mercury Bay dropping his anchor outside the Purangi River estuary, at the eastern end of what would later come to be known as Cook’s Beach.

There, about 1200 metres from the mouth of the Purangi River the crew spent a short time the following morning, trading with the local Ngati Hei people before Cook invited two of them to come on board. He gave each man a piece of cloth and some spike nails, before deciding that with fresh food a priority…

FIND US

Contact Us

Subscribe to our mailing list

For general inquiries contact:
Jan Wright
Mercury 250 Trust Event Coordinator
07 867 1309 or
027 224 1927